Pesto chicken with spinach, mushrooms, roasted peppers and toasted pine nuts
Here is another recipe from HSFC nutritionist Neema Savvides….enjoy!
I love love love pesto and could eat it with just about anything. This dish is bursting with protein, iron and vitamin C and is super quick and easy to make!
- 2-3 tablespoons pesto
- 2-3 chicken breast fillets, cut into bite sized chunks
- 2 red peppers, cut in half
- 1 box of chestnut mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 1 large bag of spinach
- garlic, chilli, salt & pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon crème fraiche (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C
- Place the peppers on a foiled baking tray skin side up and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes (turn half way through cooking)
- Fry the mushrooms in a little oil on a medium to high heat for 3 minutes
- Add the chicken, garlic and chilli (you can use a bottled chilli and garlic sauce for extra ease) and continue to fry until browned
- Once the chicken is brown, lower the heat, add the pesto and season accordingly (watch the salt as pesto is quite salty, so you don’t want to overdo this!)
- Add the spinach (it will wilt in the pan) and continue until chicken is cooked through (keep a close eye on this as it’s really easy to over cook chicken)
- Chop the peppers into bite-sized pieces and add to the chicken. If you are adding the crème fraiche, add this now
- Top with the pine nuts and serve!
I usually eat this by itself, but if you want a bit more oomph, the dish it works really well with quinoa.