One of the most indulgent days of the year (with the exception of the chocolate Easter eggs!) is here. Named “Shrove Tuesday”, the day is celebrated in England before “Ash Wednesday” which marks the beginning of Lent.
Pancake Day is celebrated on a different day each year, depending on the day Easter falls. From Ash Wednesday until Easter there are exactly 40 days, the same number of days Jesus fasted in the desert. The name “Shrove” comes from the old English and it means”to grant absolution to (a penitent).”
If you are planning a pancake feast on Shrove Tuesday, there are always healthier alternatives for you to use to boost your fertility:
- swap white flour with bran or porridge oats;
- for an extra protein boost, add cottage cheese and use a food processor to homogenise the batter;
- swap jam which has a lot of sugar for fruit instead – berries are packed full of antioxidants and are known to boost fertility;
- swap chocolate spread for the “healthier” lemon and sugar, the tradition English way;
- why not fill your pancakes with savoury fillings? Use cooked turkey or chicken mince, sauteed mushrooms and vegetables for an extra healthy savoury pancake.
However your filling, just make sure you have a Happy Pancake Day!